This morning, "J" and I dug a treat out of the freezer for breakfast: waffles left over from the last time we made a double recipe. I forget how long they've been there, but they were still good.
One project for the day was to hook up a stereo in the living room. That's a pretty straightforward task, except for the complication that we wanted to put the receiver on one side of the room and the speakers on the other side, and there's no good path for the speaker wires. We could have hidden them under a rug, but that's always a tripping hazard. I concluded that the best way would be to run them under the floor. I inspected the space under the living room, and that part didn't look like a problem.
After some measuring and planning, I drilled two holes in the floor, one on the receiver side of the room, one on the speaker side of the room. I had some plastic pipe I had lying around the house (intended as a part for a Sun shade for the weather station's thermometer unit), and I thought that would greatly reduce the likelihood that the wires would snag on things going through the floor. I fed the pipe through one of the holes, but it felt like it was running into something. I went back down below, and asked J to handle the pipe, pushing it downward until it ran into insulation, then wiggling it so I could tell where it was. When I found the spot, I pushed just enough of the insulation aside to allow the pipe through.
Unfortunately, there was no good way to secure the pipe in the hole; having gone to the trouble to line the cable hole, I didn't want the pipe to drop through. I cut a small piece of pipe and slit the side, and slipped the "C"-shaped spacer around the main length of pipe. I repeated the process for a second piece of pipe. The spacers are probably on well enough to be secure, but I wanted to be sure, and glue them in place. Unfortunately, I didn't have any glue that would stick to "PEX" pipe, which put the project on hold until I could buy the right stuff.
Later in the evening, we went out to a home improvement store and asked an employee what sort of glue would work best. They said that it should be roughened first, then to use any of several kinds. We picked out some glue, and bought another piece of PEX (for the Sun shade). While we were there, we also picked up some lumber and concrete blocks to use as cheap shelves, to keep junk stored under the house off the damp floor.
My other project for the day was more of the sewing project, continuing on the lower part. I measured quite a few more seams; that should have been simple because they were long, straight seams, but the fabric is somewhat stretchy, so I have to get it to relax before I can measure it properly. I pinned a few of the seams (60 to 80 pins each), then sewed them. There are still quite a few seams to finish, but the pieces are more and more recognizable as sections of a whole.
While writing this message, I discovered something inconvenient about PEX: it doesn't stand up to sunshine. That makes it a poor choice for the Sun shade (but perfectly good for the wire guides). I suppose I'll have to exchange the newly-purchased piece of it for something else next time I go to the same store.