Log in

No account? Create an account
entries friends calendar profile Previous Previous Next Next
clearing the last room down to the subfloor, floorboard delivery, evening in the park - Rounding up the Usual Suspects
Steve's Livejournal
clearing the last room down to the subfloor, floorboard delivery, evening in the park

My main task today was a hard-labor marathon: eight hours of moving furniture, stripping away old carpet and carpet padding, and vacuuming up over 40 years of dirt off the subfloor. (The house was built in 1985, and I never replaced the carpet.) I didn't actually remove the carpet; after removing enough furniture to make room, I rolled it back to about the middle of the room. That exposed the carpet padding, and I did remove one large strip of that.

Part of the miserable task of removing the carpet is removing the tack strips that hold the carpet tight to the walls of the room, and removing the staples that hold down the padding. I think this was the first room I've removed the tack strips and padding staples without poking myself with a tack or staple badly enough to draw blood. I think that's an accomplishment.

Of course, there are a lot of people who do eight hours of physical labor every working day. I'm not one of those people, so it was not a typical day for me. I was pretty exhausted. I'm glad this is the last room where there's any carpet. The end of the flooring project is in sight.

Late in the day, the delivery company arrived with a pallet of 18 boxes of floorboards, 16 boards per box. That's somewhere near 900 pounds of floorboards, almost 400 kg. This delivery driver was quite efficient, rolling the pallet down the driveway on a pallet dolly, skidding to a stop a few times so it wouldn't get going too fast.

The floorboards should be stored indoors, but I didn't have the energy to lug them inside. Fortunately, the weather forecast for overnight is dry, with a dew point below the expected overnight low. They should be fine for one night.
Update: The boxes were still dry early the next morning.

In the evening, "J" had a social get-together with some people she didn't know very well. I gave her a ride to the place, and "T" came along for the ride. Rather than going home again, T and I went to a park while J was at her gathering, and enjoyed the pleasant weather. We hadn't been to that park before, but it's nice enough that we might go there again. My back was too stiff from all the physical labor, so I mostly took it easy at the park.

Tags: ,

Leave a comment